Sunday, June 22, 2008

Thoughts and prayers for Kenechi Udeze


The Minnesota Star Tribune reports that Vikings defensive end Kenuchi Udeze will be receiving a bone marrow transplant in July. An exact match was found in his brother, Thomas Barnes, who will be the donor. According to Udeze, recovery time is projected anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks, and though he has nothing but love for football, he realizes that life is bigger than the game played between the lines.

“The game is going on without me. Football, I love it to death, but I don’t need football. That’s something I came to realize through the process.”

I have great memories of Udeze along the Trojan defensive front, pushing his way into an Auburn backfield to limit Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown, and providing constant pressure to Michigan’s John Navarre, as USC claimed their first national championship under Pete Carroll. But now I send my thoughts and prayers, hoping to create newer memories of a man that is victorious in a battle with his newest opponent named Leukemia.

Fight On!

No comments: